Saturday, October 22, 2011

convergences


Exhibit A: Yours truly getting ready to do some Shakespeare at the Dixie Carter Center, fall 2006.


Exhibit B: Same gal, now a married lady and travelin' from DC instead of Nashville, getting ready to do some children's theatre at the Dixie Carter Center, fall 2011.

*****

It is pretty typical for an actor to work in the same theatre over & over, or even to tour to the same venues. But I have to pause for a moment and give this week's juxtapositions their due.

The above photos were taken from a theatre in a town of about 4,000 people (2010 census said 4,074). There is a little cafe across the street from the backstage entrance. I walked in and the woman behind the counter said, "You've been here before." And there it was, my tiny face in a cast photo on the wall by the entrance. The 2006 Shakespeare gang had such a lovely experience in this small-town cafe that we posed for a photo with the owners' 4-year-old niece (who had watched and loved our Macbeth!). Here I was, 5 years later, with a new cast and a show that is actually aimed at 4-year-olds:).

All this, mind you, happened after a weekend spent in Nashville, my former hometown. We performed in the very theatre that gave me my equity card in 2005--a theatre that has never before hosted another company's production. We were only there because another venue had canceled (times are tough right now, and many theatres are only able to present our show because of local, corporate and/or private funding. It is remarkable how many children get to see our show for free or for very little money, thanks to the generosity of companies and individuals. These are children who may never have been exposed to a live show otherwise. It adds a whole new dimension to their imaginations). Our people called their people, so to speak, to ask for suggestions of theatres that might adopt our sweet show for a day or two. They happened to just be closing a show then. In an unprecedented move, my old children's theatre home gave my new children's theatre show a brief-&-beautiful home.

To perform for children and families is a special joy. I feel like my job is simply to give young people and their grownups a pure experience. Our show employs some neat new tricks, but all in the name of carrying on an old tradition. We are sharing a story. People are gathering, around a stage as around a fire, to receive a story.

To perform for children and families that you know? That is a gift. Many of my Nashville friends saw the show by themselves or with each other--many don't even have children. But they are part of a larger family. It is what I love about Nashville theatre. So just a few days ago, I got to perform for my Nashville family--people who helped me become who I am right now. Actors and theatre-makers and artists whose love of their work, their audience, their town illuminated a whole new path for me. Before Nashville, I didn't know you could be a theatre actor with a house and a yard! I didn't think about the place children's theatre might have in my career. I didn't know you could be such good friends with your "competition" :). And I didn't know the man I would come to marry.

I could go on & on. Suffice it to say, the path of my national tour just aligned with my personal trajectory in a profound way. This blog post is a clumsy ode to happy convergences.

1 comment:

  1. "Profound" is a fine word indeed for this experience, to be able to stand in a place and feel the past and the present converge. That fall of 2006 was such a precipice, such a launching point for so many things we now take for granted as actualized pieces of our life together and as artists. It's great that you not only got a chance to revisit that time, but build new memories alongside the ones already there.

    ReplyDelete